Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ode

This was going to be a post about a wonderful dessert called "Maddie's Wacky Apple."  But circumstances have dimmed the apple's importance.

Found out tonight that my wonderful friend A. is scheduled for a cesarian tomorrow.  This is about three weeks earlier than her due date and things have not been going well for her.  Right now there is a clot forming near her heart.  And I'm scared.  I think we all are.  A. is one of the most incredible people I have ever known.  She's dynamic and intelligent.  Beautiful and hilarious.  Loyal and protective.  One of those people who everyone wants to be around, like a sun with many planets circling her.  She's also has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know, and her warmth and kindness have changed the lives of so many people.  I've really only been close to her for about a year, and yet I feel like I've known her forever.  And her friendship has gotten me through some difficult times.  She can always make me smile, chortle, cry from laughter, and, now, cry with worry.

The only thing that seemed to lighten the fear is a text I received from another pregnant close friend, J.  J, turns out, is in labor tonight.  There's a strange meaningfulness in this for me.  I have always said that A reminds me of J, who I have been friends with for many, many years.  From the outside, they are as different as different can be.  J is gentle and often quiet, while A is often raucous and a born storyteller.  J is very proper, while A is more of a rebel - covered in tattoos.

Yet, they are both the most thoughtful people I know.  Being around them is like being around a rainbow.  They each have a similar grace and light.  Each is a source of strength, happiness, and joy.  And they are both some of the truest friends a woman could be blessed to have.

I think there is a reason J. went into labor tonight.   Like somehow, even though they are miles away, they are in this together.  Giving each other strength and support through the difficulties.

Two women.  Different, but also the same.  Giving birth to children who will likely share a birthday and hopefully become friends.  And one day, be there for each other when life becomes difficult.

I'm looking forward to meeting these children.  With mothers like theirs', they will be very special children indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment